Self Represented Parties

If you are planning to represent yourself (appear "Pro Se"), you will need to acquaint yourself with all of the rules, procedures and/or policies pertaining to your case. This includes the rules promulgated by the state agency responsible for the decision you are appealing.  If you have been scheduled for a virtual hearing, please review the Code of Contact for Virtual Hearings and the Technical Guidance for Accessing Hearings Via Google Meet.


This information is provided as a courtesy. It does not represent legal advice. If you choose to represent yourself, you should be aware that you are presumed to have knowledge of the applicable statutes and rules and must be prepared to accept the consequences of any mistaken understandings, even if the case is not litigated. Also, you will be bound by the same rules of procedure and evidence as attorneys who are licensed to practice law.


Please also familiarize yourself with any pertinent OAC Policies. In some non-public benefits cases you will need to read the following:

The OAC has also prepared a Non-Lawyer's Guide to OAC proceedings that you may find helpful.

Please be advised that the clerks at the Office of Administrative Courts are prohibited by law from giving legal advice. The clerks can tell you what a procedure entails, but are not permitted to advise you as to how to proceed.

If you would like to consult with an attorney, you may want to contact any attorney of your choosing, Colorado Legal Services or your local bar association.

In Public Benefits cases, you may be represented by a non-attorney. You will need to document that you have given the non-attorney authority to represent you by either submitting a Representative Authorization or Non-Attorney Representative Form, a General Power of Attorney or a Letter from the appellant specifically stating that they appoint a representative.

All proceedings are conducted in the English language. If you require translation to a language other than English, you will need to contact the County Department of Human/Social Services or the State Department of Health Care Policy & Financing for assistance. The OAC has translated the Notice of Hearing for Health First Colorado cases (Medicaid) into the Spanish, French, Russian, Vietnamese,  Korean and Somali languages. If you require American Sign Language assistance, please contact the clerks office at 303-866-5626.